Monday, May 29, 2006

Derek and Dawn, 2 : BolderBoulder, 0

You see, we made a mistake last year. Having no expectations for having to run the 6.2 miles of the BolderBoulder in 2005, we were full of excitement and energy due to the fact that we were still running at every mile marker when we had previously figured we would run some and walk when we were tired. We finished in 66:47:00 and impressed the heck out of ourselves and anyone else who knew us as the untrained, out of shape fools we were.

This year, we felt the pressure of that past performance with every mile marker. Quitting was not an option, despite the fact that my ankle was throbbing, my stomach crunched up in a cramp and my right knee feeling like it needed to be oiled. Apparantly, another year of age and lack of training made a difference. By the time I crossed the finish line at 69:05:00, I was completely and utterly spent. There was no ecstatic sprinting like last year. Derek might have been able to manage it, but I was aching. Don't get us wrong; we're darn proud of having run the whole way, which was our goal. We're just not so sure that we can do this whole run a 10k without any training / being in shape thing every year. We're not the young whippersnappers we once were! (Okay, I should put a disclaimer: where I wrote we, I think I should substitute "I" - Derek's back home with me and we're complaining and icing our achy knees, but he was actually much stronger than I was during the race).

Good thing Katie was there to add to our trio! Here are our sweaty, messy hair, and red-faced photos from the CU stadium afterwards:

Derek is too tired to smile and I'm collapsing into him. Therefore, this is the only picture we took of ourselves -- post-10K pictures aren't incredibly flattering. But, please notice my bib number! Oh yeah, respecting the 401!

Katie looks much better than us, because she's a BolderBoulder superstar! Check out those real running clothes and everything! That's definitely why she finished a minute ahead of us.

Runners and their cheerleaders, united in section 210.
Molly and her Derek, Katie and Brian, Molly's friends and my Derek.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home